News

Check for the latest updates.Comments only in English, please. 日本語のコメントはこちらで受け付けています。

January 2, 2011

News

Updated: December 26, 2012.

日本語版はこちら

BREAKING NEWS


Real-time streaming of live TV programs broadcast in Japan is now available for both PC and TV (with a Google TV STB).

I will follow this up in the Japanese version of this blog.

Stay tuned.



Here's a sample chi-digi recording. It's about 30MB. You need to install the DivX codec and DirectShow AC3AudioFilter. Be careful when installing AC3 AudioFiter; it will try to let you install several crappy additional things. Simply keep clicking on "Decline."

I have received a few comments asking about real-time streaming and the SlingBox. Sorry,

SlingBox is not discussed here.

My project employs a record-store-transfer-store-view model pursuing watch time flexibility and play-back quality.

Proceed to Analog System.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Hiro,

    I would like to know the prerequisites and basic cost for setting up a system to watch Tokyo domestic TV from overseas over the fiber broadband, provided that I am neither a Japanese who is very familiar with Japanese language nor an IT Engineer. Thanks!

    at

    ReplyDelete
  2. at,

    Thanks for viewing my blog.

    The cost and prerequisites would heavily depend on "how much you want to spend." If you elected SlingBox, the box and your PC would be the initial const and the broadband connection fees at both sides and the NHK monthly service fee would be the recurring cost.

    If you followed my way of a complete HD quality record-transfer-save way, you would need true IT expertise and hours to solve everything by yourself. Please refer to my "Digital System" page for the recording server cost that I spent for my current system/

    hiro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      I am trying to help a friend watch Japanese TV. I am hoping to use a SlingBox attached to some type of standalone DVR appliance. I have not been able to locate much information on a TiVo like appliance that could be setup in an home in Tokyo for viewing in the US. Can you recommend anything that can be used to watch/record TV and that can be used with SlingBox?

      Delete
  3. Hi, Anonymous. Thank you for viewing my DVR project blog.

    I am afraid I have no information that you may be interested in. The SlingBox is not of my interest because it is for real-time viewing with
    a proprietary protocol, neither of which helps my project.

    ReplyDelete